Saturday, February 20, 2010

Look Mommy, the Ocean!!

When we went to see Karl over Valentine's weekend, we decided to do something fun with our post-visiting time. Maricopa, CA is only a couple of hours away from Guadalupe Beach. That is located about 16 miles west of Santa Maria. For those of you that don't know where that is, i think it is about 100-120 miles north of LA, or something like that! Anyway, J was so excited to go to the ocean, or the place where Nemo lives! We finally found our way to where we needed to go (we had missed the freeway exit that we need so we had to back track a few miles) and were headed in the right direction. It seemed like we had to drive forever and I just kept thinking, if we go west long enough, we will just drive into the water! Of course we didn't drive into the water! After winding thru the sand dunes on a one lane road, we arrived at this!
This is what it looks like when you come up over the last row of dunes to the beach, it was so amazing to see the waves rolling in. As soon as we hit the sand, we noticed that the wind was blowing super hard because the sand was flying! We could also see the fog rolling in over the mountains--that was pretty awesome looking too!

You can tell that the wind is blowing not only by the waves, but look at my hair! it was blowing all over in my face and J's nose and fingers were frozen in a matter of minutes!
J was scared by the loudness of the waves crashing so I had to carry him while we were on the beach. I think he was cold and so was I so holding him kept us both warm!
I think the seagulls in California are just too used to people! They were only about 10-15 feet away from us and they didn't even care that we were there! J loved it! We had some pelicans fly right by us too but that picture didn't turn out very well so maybe next time we will get to see them again!
So there you have it! J's first trip to the beach but definitely not his last! When we go see Karl in May, we will be taking our swimming gear! I can't wait! We got pictures taken with Karl so as soon as I get them from him, I will post them!

2 comments:

Lance and Selena Thayne said...

How Fun! Cold....but fun!

Potters said...

The picture of you and JT is so cute! I am so glad you went and had fun at the beach.

Places I've Been