Every now and then I feel the need to rant about some obscure thought that has popped into my head. Today's is the role of woman, then and now. Long gone are the days when the men worked to provide for the family and the women stayed home to tend to the kids and the homely duties. I often wonder what it would have been like 50 years ago to be able to live that way...think about it, one income provided nicely for a moderate sized family--you could own a home with land, a somewhat reliable car, and even go out and enjoy yourselves once in a while. Now, fast forward to the 21st century and what do you have??? Absolute chaos! Everyone that still has a job goes to work everyday with the fear that they might lose it (job) by lunchtime. Some families are working 4 jobs in an attempt to make ends meet and still are getting behind on the mortgage. It makes me wonder what has happened over the last half-century to our society...Anyway, back to the original rant--50 years ago, you rarely heard of a family where the woman worked outside of the home. She was
expected to have children and run a fully functioning home and then basically serve her husband's needs when he arrived home (expected is the key word here). For some reason, this concept rubs me the wrong way. I am not sure why because I know that it says in the bible (or one of those important books) that woman should submit to their husbands. Anyway, I feel like women shouldn't be expected to stay home but rather be presented with the option to live her life the way she pleases. If she chooses to work outside of the home to help provide for her family, there is nothing wrong with that. Likewise, choosing to run the home life should be a choice, not an expectation. I also think that women should be smart enough to know that in this day, the men can't always provide for the family on their own and they (women) should be willing to find outside work if needed. I do think it is great if one of the parents is able to stay home with the kids--however, it doesn't have to be the woman! If the woman can be the breadwinner and provide nicely for her family, I say more power to her--it's awesome! I also have to say that even if my husband were home and made enough money to provide for us, I would still work outside of the home, at least part time, to retain the small portion of my sanity that still remains! I guess I am just not made to be a homemaker! Anyway, I really have no idea where this rambling has come from but hopefully it makes someone smile, laugh, or even a little mad...
1 comment:
It is crazy how much things have changed in the last few years regarding the role that a woman should have. I've been a working mom and a stay at home mom. So I fully understand where you are comming from. When I worked it was for my family and for what was best for us and I'm proud of my choices. Now I am a stay at home mom and I am very greatful for the time I have with JJ. It all is a matter of doing what is best for you and your family. If some one doesn't like what you do then that is their own fault.
Post a Comment