Sunday, January 18, 2009

Baby Tag

1. Where were you when you first found out you were pregnant? At our house in La Verkin

2. Who was with you? Karl & my mom

3. What was your first reaction? I was surprised that it had finally happened!
4.What was your husband's reaction? I think he actually went into shock for a couple of minutes!
5. Who was the first person you told? I told my mom first and then Karl. I wanted to make sure it was really a plus sign on the test before I told Karl. We all kind of already knew though because I was late and was really really tired all the time. Plus, I kept waking up at strange hours of night wanting something to eat!!

6. Was the pregnancy planned? Not really, I had wanted to have a baby for awhile but we definitely weren’t planning it.

7. Was everyone happy for you? Oh yes, I don’t think I have ever seen my mom so excited, or anyone else in my family for that matter!

8. What was the sex? Boy--definitely not shy about it either, that was about the first thing the nurses saw on the ultrasound!

9. What was the nursery theme/colors? Baby Animals (lions, & giraffes, & other jungle animals)

10. Did anyone throw a shower for you? Yes--My boss threw a shower for me at her house in St. George. It was so much fun--I had never been to a baby shower before my own!!

11. Did you get any outfits you wouldn't use? Actually no, I didn’t get a lot of outfits for him, I mostly got the accessories that come in handy.

12. How much weight did you gain? Are you ready for this… 95 pounds (75 of which is still hanging around!)

13. Did you get stretch marks? What do you think!

14. Did you crave anything crazy? No, I just lived on Mac ‘n’ cheese and Potatoes and Gravy for the first 3 months. Everything else made me feel like I was going to hurl.

15. Who or what got on your nerves the most? Surprisingly not much, I wasn’t an emotional wreck during my pregnancy. My emotions kicked in after JT was born! Every night at 8:00 sharp, I would cry for no reason!! Luckily, that only lasted for about 3 weeks!!

16. Where were you when you went into Labor? Home--I actually started having Braxton-Hicks contractions 2 days before JT was born. They didn’t hurt but I knew I was getting close. That night they got worse so we went to the hospital at about 11:30 but I wasn’t progressing so at 4:30 in the morning, they sent me home. At least they gave me some medicine to help me sleep for awhile (good thing because the next day would prove to be very loooooong!). I slept for about 3 hours and was rudely awakened by much stronger contractions! I called my doctor to see if I should come back to the hospital. His nurse told me to trust my instinct and if I felt like I needed to come back in, to do it. So about an hour later, we packed up the car and headed to the hospital (the longest 35 minute drive of my life!) We got to the hospital at about 2:00 on Friday 9/21 and I still wasn’t progressing according to the nurses (my contractions were 4 minutes apart so I felt like it was time to rock n roll!). They were going to send me home again at about 3:30 but as they were moving me, my water broke, so I got to stay this time--YEA!!!! Of course after my water broke, the contractions got WORSE! Bring on the epidural--Unfortunately for me, September is the most popular month to give birth in St. George (I guess there is not much else to do in the winter time) so there was literally a line of pregnant women waiting for epidurals and who do you think was at the end of that line? Yep, me--finally after what seemed like forever of enduring the worst pain EVER, I got the good stuff and all the pain was gone!!! I am so glad that there is a button you can push when you need more of the numbing stuff! That proved useful when it was time to push! I ended up being in labor for 17 hours and during that time, about 5 other women delivered babies--my poor doctor was the only doctor on call that night so he was literally running back and forth from room to room delivering babies and checking on me all night! He is the awesomest (is that a word?) doctor!
17. Did you have any complications? At the beginning of the pregnancy we had a scare with some bleeding but all proved to be fine. During delivery, I was diagnosed with Chorioamnionitis (fancy talk for an infection) so I had to be on IV antibiotics, Pitocin (to help the labor progress), and fluids during my labor. I had to be on the antibiotics for 2 more days after I delivered. Unfortunately the infection also affected JT and he had to stay in NICU for 5 days after he was born. It was very difficult to see him in there with an IV and for one day, a feeding tube, but I am very grateful to my doctor for diagnosing the infection early and doing what was necessary to get us all healthy.

18. Did your water break? We already covered that but I must say that is the weirdest feeling in the world!!

19. Who drove you to the hospital? My mom, Karl was freaking out so I figured it was safer that way! He was more nervous and excited than I was at that point--I was just focused on the contractions and how sweet it would be to get the drugs to make them not hurt anymore!

20. Did you go early or late? Early--JT was born 5 days before his due date.

21. Who was in the room during delivery? The better question is who wasn’t in the room! Dixie State College and Mojave Community College have nursing programs and they picked that day to do some hands on training! So, I had about 8 student nurses, 6 L&D nurses, my Doctor, Karl, my mom, 2 NICU nurses, the NICU doctor…Put is this way, the delivery was standing room only and we got a BIG round of applause when the show was over!!
22. Did you video tape it? No but we took lots of still photos
23. Did you have any pain medication? Oh yes, see above

24. Did you have a c-section or natural? Thankfully natural, JT was breech for a while and that is why my labor was longer--we had to wait for him to turn. Luckily he wasn’t in distress so we didn’t have to worry about a C-section.

25. What was your reaction to the birth? I was absolutely exhausted (and hungry) but so excited that he was finally here! Karl was once again stunned and kind of scared because the cord was wrapped around JT’s neck twice and he had a bad cone head (from being in the birth canal so long!) He told me later that his first thought was “is that my baby???” I think the doctor saw the puzzled look on Karl’s face because he quickly explained that it is quite common and normal for babies to be born with cone heads and that it would go away. Once that concern was addressed, Karl relaxed and told me that he was proud of me and that I did it! After he cut the cord and the nurses weight JT, Karl got to be the first one to hold him! That was amazing--I remember looking at him holding his baby and it was so precious! I got to hold him for a minute too, but he had to be whisked away to the NICU to have some blood work done and be started on antibiotics. Karl accompanied him to the NICU and I finally got to have something to eat! Cherrios and toast never tasted so good! Finally I was moved to the mom/baby unit and was able to get some sleep. I was discharged from the hospital on 9/24 but JT had to stay until 9/26.
26. How big was the baby? He weighed 8 lbs. 5 oz. and was 21.5 inches long. He was born on 9/22/07 at 8:45 a.m.

27. What is the baby's full name? James Thomas Young

28. Did your husband cry? Anyone that knows Karl knows he is such a softy! He was crying like a baby!!

29. When is the next one coming? That depends on who you ask--I say within 5 years, Karl says--what next one?

30. If you could would you do it all over again? Absolutely!!

I tag all moms who are willing to share their story, I would love to read them!

1 comment:

Casie said...

That was fun to read your story. My doc told me that the cords are usually wrapped around the baby's head when they come out. He knew I was freaking out about that, so he did good to calm me down. I'm learning that it really is true! 17 hours is good but I was 22. :) However, we didn't have to make trips back and forth to the hospital, but that Protocin stuff is sent from above, isn't it? That stuff helped me so much! Anyway, I'm glad you posted this.

Places I've Been